For those who just want to learn how to make sushi rolls at home, the Spicy Crab sushi recipe is a great choice. It is simple to prepare, easy to use, and delicious.
This recipe was a key part of my initial training as a sushi chef. Because the ingredients were simple, I was able to get consistent results and not have to worry about rolling more complicated ingredients. This is the best recipe for sushi rolling if you’re new!
This tutorial will require:
- 2 cups of Sushi Rice – 380g
- 4-6 sheets of nori, cut in half
- Toasted sesame seeds
- 2 cans of Sustainable Crab (Snow or Dungeness crabs from the U.S.A or Canada) – 336g
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha – 15mL
- 1 Tbsp heavy mayonnaise – 15mL
- 1 tsp Shichimi Togarashi – 5mL
- Sharp knife (ideally a Yanagiba)
- Makisu (wrapped with cellophane).
- Cutting board
- Stirring utensils
- Mixing bowl
- This recipe yields 4 Spicy Crab Sushi Rolls.
- Make spicy crab salad
This recipe is delicious! It only contains one ingredient: spicy crab salami.
1. Drain the water from your sustainable crab meat cans.
2. Drain the water and grab some crab meat. Then, squeeze out any excess water over a sink. Each 6 oz. I took 3 pieces of crab meat from each 6 oz. can and squeezed them out. Place the crab meat in a separate bowl.
For sushi, squeezed crab meat
You should squeeze as much water as possible from the crab meat. Your nori will become soggy if there is too much water.
3. Mix together your Sriracha, heavy mayonnaise, and shichimi Togarashi. This was done with two spoons, but you could use any stirring utensils.
Make the Spicy Crab Sushi Roll
1. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the nori by adding a few pieces of sushi rice. You should make sure that the rice reaches every edge.
2. Flip the nori mat over and add your spicy crab mix. I aim to leave a minimum of 2 cm in the middle of the nori.
3. Place your thumbs under the makisu and use your fingers to hold in the spicy crab salad. Then, roll your thumbs until they reach your fingertips. Check out my article How to Roll Sushi.
4. Slice your Spicy Crab Sushi Roll into 8 equal pieces, and then plate it! You can sign up for my email newsletter at the top of this website to get some great plating tips!
You can then add your wasabi or ginger and/or your preferred sushi sauce. Spicy Mayo can be added for extra heat! If you prefer it sweeter, I recommend adding Eel Sauce. For imitation crab, you can substitute real crab meat. Click here to learn how to make imitation crab meat at your home.
It would be a pleasure to hear your thoughts about the recipe. Have you tried it at home? What did you think?
Sushi Inc is a vibrant restaurant that offers what is considered the best sushi in St Petersburg. Opening its doors in 2013 and becoming a local staple by offering live music, traditional hand-rolled sushi and a friendly atmosphere, our guests always have a top notch experience. Customers love our award-winning, fresh and creative Sushi rolls, Nigiri, and Sashimi. With a larger selection of tempura, non-Sushi, and teriyaki options, we can accommodate every taste.